Documentation of the International Chicory Database
The data in the International Chicory Database are presented in a format based on the EURISCO descriptor list. However, compared to EURISCO, the following modifications have been made:
- The descriptor "National Inventory code" has been removed.
- Eight non-EURISCO descriptors have been added (34-41).
- 1. Institute code (INSTCODE)
- FAO Institute code of the institute where the accession is maintained.
- 2. Accession number (ACCENUMB)
- This number serves as a unique identifier for accessions within a genebank collection, and is assigned when a sample is entered into the genebank collection.
- 3. Collecting number (COLLNUMB)
- Original number assigned by the collector(s) of the sample, normally composed of the name or initials of the collector(s) followed by a number.
- 4. Collecting institute code (COLLCODE)
- FAO Institute code of the institute collecting the sample.
- 5. Genus (GENUS)
- Genus name for taxon, in latin.
- 6. Species (SPECIES)
- Specific epithet portion of the scientific name, in latin.
- 7. Species authority (SPAUTHOR)
- The authority for the species name.
- 8. Subtaxa (SUBTAXA)
- Any additional taxonomic identifier, in latin.
- 9. Subtaxa authority (SUBTAUTHOR)
- The subtaxa authority.
- 10. Common crop name (CROPNAME)
- Name of the crop in colloquial language.
- 11. Accession name (ACCENAME)
- Either a registered or other formal designation given to the accession.
- 12. Acquisition date (ACQDATE)
- Date on which the accession entered the collection as YYYYMMDD.
- 13. Country of origin (ORIGCTY)
- Country in which the sample was originally collected.
- 14. Location of collecting site (COLLSITE)
- Location information below the country level that describes where the accession was collected.
- 15. Latitude of collecting site (LATITUDE)
- Degree (2 digits), minutes (2 digits) and seconds (2 digits) followed by N (North) or S (South).
- 16. Longitude of collecting site (LONGITUDE)
- Degree (3 digits), minutes (2 digits) and seconds (2 digits) followed by E (East) or W (West).
- 17. Elevation of collecting site (ELEVATION)
- Elevation of collecting site expressed in meters above sea level.
- 18. Collecting date of original sample (COLLDATE)
- Collecting date of the original sample as YYYYMMDD.
- 19. Breeding institute code (BREDCODE)
- FAO Institute Code of the institute that has bred the material.
- 20. Biological status of accession (SAMPSTAT)
- The following codes are used to indicate the biological status of the accession.
- 100) Wild
- 110) Natural
- 120) Semi-natural/wild
- 200) Weedy
- 300) Traditional cultivar/landrace
- 400) Breeding/research material
- 410) Breeder's line
- 411) Synthetic population
- 412) Hybrid
- 413) Founder stock/base population
- 414) Inbred line (parent of hybrid cultivar)
- 415) Segregating population
- 420) Mutant/genetic stock
- 500) Advanced/improved cultivar
- 999) Other (Elaborate in REMARKS field)
- 21. Ancestral data (ANCEST)
- Information about either pedigree or other description of ancestral information (i.e. parent variety in case of mutant or selection).
- 22. Collecting/acquisition source (COLLSRC)
- The following codes are used to indicate the source from which the accession was collected or aquired.
- 10) Wild habitat
- 11) Forest/woodland
- 12) Shrubland
- 13) Grassland
- 14) Desert/tundra
- 15) Aquatic habitat
- 20) Farm or cultivated habitat
- 21) Field
- 22) Orchard
- 23) Backyard, kitchen or home garden (urban, peri-urban or rural)
- 24) Fallow land
- 25) Pasture
- 26) Farm store
- 27) Threshing floor
- 28) Park
- 30) Market or shop
- 40) Institute, Experimental station, Research organization, Genebank
- 50) Seed company
- 60) Weedy, disturbed or ruderal habitat
- 61) Roadside
- 62) Field margin
- 99) Other (Elaborate in REMARKS field)
- 23. Donor institute code (DONORCODE)
- FAO Institute Code for the donor institute.
- 24. Donor accession number (DONORNUMB)
- Number assigned to an accession by the donor.
- 25. Other identification (numbers) associated with the accession (OTHERNUMB)
- Any other identification (numbers) known to exist in other collections for this accession. The following system is used: INSTCODE:ACCENUMB;INSTCODE:ACCENUMB; INSTCODE and ACCENUMB are the descriptors described under 1. and 2., respectively, and are separated by a colon. Pairs of INSTCODE and ACCENUMB are separated by a semicolon without space. When the institute is not known, the number is preceded by a colon.
- 26. Location of safety duplicates (DUPLSITE)
- FAO Institute Code of the institute where a safety duplicate of the accession is maintained.
- 27. Type of germplasm storage (STORAGE)
- The following codes are used to indicate the type of germplasm storage.
- 10) Seed collection
- 11) Short term
- 12) Medium term
- 13) Long term
- 20) Field collection
- 30) In vitro collection (Slow growth)
- 40) Cryopreserved collection
- 99) Other (elaborate in REMARKS field)
- 28. Remarks (REMARKS)
- The remarks field is used to add notes or to elaborate on other descriptors.
- 29. Decoded collecting institute (COLLDESCR)
- Brief name and location of the collecting institute. Only used if the FAO Institution Code for this institute (COLLCODE) is not available.
- 30. Decoded breeding institute (BREDDESCR)
- Brief name and location of the breeding institute. Only used if the FAO Institution Code for this institute (BREDCODE) is not available.
- 31. Decoded donor institute (DONORDESCR)
- Brief name and location of the donor institute. Only used if the FAO Institution Code for this institute (DONORCODE) is not available.
- 32. Decoded safety duplication location (DUPLDESCR)
- Brief name and location of the institute maintaining the safety duplicate. Only used if the FAO Institution Code for this institute (DUPLCODE) is not available.
- 33. Accession URL (ACCEURL)
- URL linking to additional data about the accession either in the holding genebank or from another source.
- 34. Sub crop type (SUBCROP)
- If applicable to the crop involved, the name of the sub crop type in English.
Example: witloof, escarole, curled chicory, root chicory, leaf chicory,,,,
- 35. File generation date (FGDATE)
- The date the datafiles were generated by the institute donating the information (format: YYYYMMDD).
- 36. Official name (OFFICIALNAME)
- Official denomination for a variety registered in the European catalogue in case of synonymous
Example: De Ruffec (official name) because we can find in the Catalogue various synonymous: Rufec, Ruffec, Di Ruffec
- 37. Race (RACE)
- Selection or maintenance designed by a race for old cultivars
Example: Grosse Bouclée race Grobo
- 38. Genetical structure (STRUCTGEN)
- Genetical structure of the accession
- P= Population
- L= Line
- H= Hybrid
- 39. Date of registration (DATEREGISTR)
- Date of registration of a cultivar in the national List, with indication of the country before the date
Example: FRA 2000
- 40. Date of deletion (DATEDELET)
- Date of deletion of a cultivar in the national List, with indication of the country before the date
Example: FRA 2003
- 41. Cultigroup (CULTIGROUP)
- If applicable to the subcrop involved, the name of the cultigroup in English.
Example: Chioggia, Trevise, Verone, Grosse Bouclée, Géante maraîchère types
Comments and questions to: Pascal Coquin.